First, let me say that this is the very first time I have heard of Babassu oil. And you guys know that I am obsessed with different kinds of oil. So, what's so great about this oil?

• It feels very moisturizing - much like coconut oil - but without being oily.

• It absorbs better into the skin than does coconut or olive oil (two of my favorites). Coconut oil seems to stay on the surface of the skin and hair and this oil doesn't.

• There is no heavy smell - like with coconut or olive - and the slight scent it does have fades quickly.

• I can apply this to my face before makeup - as long as I let the oil finish absorbing. 

• That's all the stuff I like about using it. There are more positives and potential benefits I've read about since getting it.

• Has anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and wound-healing properties.

• Rich in fatty acids - which makes it a great moisturizer and potentially good as an immune booster.

• It does not seem to cause or aggravate acne.

This is the babassu oil I am talking about:

Babassu oil 32oz gallon

Babassu oil (AKA cusi oil) comes from the babassu palm (funny there's a plant named that) native to the Amazon Rainforest region in South America. The only possible negatives I've heard about so far are when consuming the oil. Like coconut oil, it can be used in cooking.

Babassu oil might cause problems for people taking blood thinners or who have thyroid problems. As with anything you can ingest, use common sense. Pregnant or nursing women should check with their doctors before consuming babassu oil. (See amazon reviewsAs far as any downsides I experienced, this was better on my skin than on my hair (more on that in a moment) than coconut oil. Oh, and the price. 

I will definitely have to find a more affordable brand if I want to use this on my hair. This gallon will last a long while if I only use it as a skin moisturiser. I am not planning to consume the oil as much as I do coconut and olive. This one is purely for my skin and hair. I'm kind of surprised that I haven't heard more about it before now. This oil seems to be pricier than coconut oil.


For this 32 Oz gallon i paid less than $29 for it on Amazon. I only pay half of that for 16 Oz of the coconut oil I used to use. So, yeah. However... I can add to the list of positives that a very little bit of this oil goes a long way. When I was first testing it, I only had to use just over 1/2 tablespoon to treat my hands, my thighs and my feet. 




By the way, this oil - which is refined - melts almost as fast at body temp as does unrefined coconut oil.it will go completely liquid if left in a warm room. 
It solidifies in a cold temperature as you can see in the photo below:

Babassu oil in cold temperature


When I applied it to my face, I could feel it more than I did on hands, but you can't really see much of an oily sheen. Remember that this oil completely absorbs and I wondered if it just kind of dries away. When I finished applying it to my face, I dampened my hands and rubbed them together and noticed that my skin (see photo below) felt soft almost the way my silicone potholders feel. Weird but nice.



I was excited to try this on my hair of course. And this is interesting. I washed and conditioned my hair and while it was still very damp, I applied some of this oil to a section. I don't know what I expected but I really couldn't tell a difference in the way that section looked or felt. 
In the meantime, I love what this does for my skin.